You want to know what one of the best things is about being a father? You don’t have all the answers. Now, this may seem like a problem, and it can be sometimes. However, that is also the beauty of it. I always have to teach myself something new. Understanding why my son does this and why he does that, who he got what trait from, the significance of his different milestones, how to get his head unstuck from the bannister rungs (hasn’t happen yet, but semper paratus). These must be learned along the way, and you have to have a teachable spirit in order to thrive.
The same is true for fitness. You must learn and grow with different workouts, programs, meals, and diets. You must also learn what your body can and cannot do. I’ve found that barring injuries and miscellaneous abnormalities, there are no limits to what we can do with our bodies. Just to show you how remarkable the human body is here are some interesting facts that might surprise you. They definitely had me amazed.
- You use 200 muscles to take one step. Depending on how you divide up muscle groups, just to take a single step you use somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 muscles. That’s a lot of work for the muscles considering most of us take about 10,000 steps a day.
- Women burn fat more slowly than men do, by a rate of about 50 calories a day. Most men have a much easier time burning fat than women do. Women, because of their reproductive role, generally require a higher basic body fat proportion than men, and as a result, their bodies don’t get rid of excess fat at the same rate as men.
- The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet. No wonder you can feel your heartbeat so easily. Pumping blood through your body quickly and efficiently takes quite a bit of pressure resulting in the strong contractions of the heart and the thick walls of the ventricles, which push blood to the body. This pressure can increase in high-performance athletes as their cardiovascular health is far above normal.
- Even small noises cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate. It is believed that this is why surgeons, watchmakers and others who perform delicate manual operations are so bothered by uninvited noise. The sound causes their pupils to change focus and blur their vision, making it harder to do their job well.
- Over 90% of diseases are caused or complicated by stress. That high stress job you have could be doing more than just wearing you down each day. It could also be increasing your chances of having a variety of serious medical conditions like depression, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Bone is stronger than some steel. This doesn’t mean your bones can’t break of course, as they are much less dense than steel. Bone has been found to have a tensile strength of 20,000 psi while steel is much higher at 70,000 psi. Steel is much heavier than bone, however, and pound for pound, bone is the stronger material.
- After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp. If you’re heading to a concert or a musical after a big meal, you may be doing yourself a disservice. Try eating a smaller meal if you need to keep your hearing pitch perfect.